Ds's 1st grade teacher is either clueless or just overwhelmed this year. She isn't differentiatiing at all. mad I miss the Substitue (is that bad?). My dilemna is that I think DS is happy. He doesn't have to be challenged at all. So it has become all about the social aspect of school and playing with his classmates. Since dh and I feel school is about academics and social aspects we have up until now been letting things play out.

I have recently started seeing some resitance and fustration at figuring things out at home. For example if it is a little challenging he will ask someone else to tell him the answer. He doesn't want to think it through. The other day he was asking what state's bordered the state of Georgia and before he even asked he said "Mom I don't know the answer okay. So just tell me". After he asked I told him to get his globe and we would find it. "I don't want to do that just tell me". Another example: he was writing something the other day and brought me a piece of paper and asked me to spell Transformers. I asked him to help me sound it out (he reads on a 4th grade level). "No mom just write it". frown Then got fustrated and yelled at me when I wouldn't just write it.

I am torn on what to do. The teacher isn't going to accommodate his academic needs what so ever. cry Dh is beginning to lose his patience and wants something done now. But what can be done for this year if the teacher won't make the necessary accommodations? What would your do?

Our principal is very open to the idea of a grade skip. I ran into her yesterday after volunteering and asked what was needed for a grade skip if dh and I felt it was necessary. Ds would need to pass the end of the year 2nd grade exam and then it would go to committee. When we had talked earlier if a grade skip was necessary I mentioned we would prefer it be over the summer. To be honest I was hoping to avoid a grade skip. He fits in socially with his peers and genuinely likes learning at his own pace. His birthday is in February so he is one of the older kids on the spectrum of class ages and he is tall for his age so if skipped it wouldn't be that big of an age gap. But he is involved with sports which goes stricly by age level so I am not sure where that fits into my thinking.

I am stuck on the best thing to do. Any advice?

Last edited by xoxosmom; 02/06/09 11:06 AM. Reason: typo