Originally Posted by kcab
Her current school is K-6, with lackluster teachers in 6th. An additional accommodation that may be possible in 6th is busing to the middle school for math, it is currently being done for 3 or 4 children in that grade. But not a lot of alternatives for this year unless things get really bad and I pull her out.

Kcab,
that's excellent news. Because her school goes to 6th, then you can expect that a midyear skip, now, into 6th, would give her that important "bridge" year. In other words, if you are considering a full grade skip, then do it now, not next year, unless you are only offered next year and it's really needed. Let's face it- this age group is tough on girls, so if she's with kids who are more on her level, then she might have more success with friendships, and at least she will learn the "hard work, then achievment cycle."

I would reccomend ordering the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual: A Guide for Whole-Grade Acceleration (K-8) 2nd Edition (Paperback)
by Nicholas Colangelo (Author), Ann, Ph.D. Lupkowski-Shoplik (Author), Jonathan Lipscomb (Author), Leslie Forstadt (Author), Susan G. Assouline (Editor) . today, if possible, and writing a lettter to the school, today, in writing, stating that you believe that she would be better served educationally and socially in 6th grade, requesting them to please change her placement. Then they will come back with an offer of an individual IQ test, which is what you need to fill out the Iowa anyway. You can email Susan G. Assouline to figure out how to use the achievement scores you have from the MAP. I'm guessing that you can use them as BOTH achievement and above-level aptitude testing, but Dr. Assouline is very approachable and helpful, and if you are going to take such a step you may as well have all your info at your fingertips.

If the school refuses testing, a local tester who is experienced in gifted and the SB-V will probably be ok to give the IQ test. Then you will have the information you need to help make a plan.

Best Wishes,
Trinity