Thanks Crisc-

She's actually in third grade and the test that he was referring to are the 6 week benchmark tests. They are not timed, but the other children generally finish in about 40 minutes. She also has weekly tests for Open Court and spelling, and math tests just whenever they finish a unit. He is concerned because apparently the Calif. State tests are timed. I need to confirm this from him though. He is just worried that she will not finish and her score will not reflect what she has learned.

She's usually pretty focused, but that is a long time for anyone to sit and take a test. She always scores 90- 100 on everything so I know she is just making sure she does it right, which is a good thing! I told her that is was ok if she sped up a little even if the grade went down for awhile. This way she doesn't think we're going to be mad at her for it. She takes it very personally if she doesn't do well on a test:( She does let it go quickly though when we talk about it. Also, they take timed multiplication fact (100 problems in 4 min.) tests daily and she is passing them usually every week and a half to two weeks. She has gotten a lot faster at these as the year goes on.

I don't usually study with her so I'm not sure about the lag time in answering. I do know that when she is doing H/W she tends to take a lot of time. So it doesn't surprise me that he said this.

Also, I signed her up last week for the SCAT, which is timed! I don't know how that will pan out because she probably won't have time to answer all of the questions. But, if nothing else, it will give her good test taking experience!!

Thanks, Laura