Oh Isa!

Based on our vision experiences I'd say it's definately the vision issue that's causing the slower speed. I'm thinking they're checking for fluency, which is great, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you see improvements with vision therapy I would definately continue. I wouldn't focus on this one assessment for fluency because things can improve so rapidly for an HG child, as you know!

Most importantly, she shouldn't feel any *pressure* for reading at her age. I wouldn't let the school pressure her or pressure you into making it an issue.

Just nod smile, tell them she's working on it and that's about as much time I'd spend on it for now.

For DD8, the way I encouraged her to keep working on reading skills was to allow her to pick out her own paperback books from the bookstore. That was a huge treat for her because we are mostly a library family!

She felt like a little princess being whisked off to the huge bookstore to pick out a few of her very own books. Also, I never sat her down and *made* her read them, I just kept asking her how they were and what was happening. wink