Hi Fite!
I don't think enrichment/acceleration is an either/or thing.
But I have heard that enrichment isn't going to be effective unless the child is within 2 years of their actual readiness level, so both is my favorite answer. This seems to fit my Data, about my Summer born 11 year old, once grade skipped, with lots of 13 year old peers in his 7th grade class, at a school that goes deep about everything. It puzzeled me at first that this PG underachiever could be converted to a hard working guy with a single grade skip, and a school change - but although I stay alert, I believe him when he says he's really well placed.

Some kids of course are my "multi-level" in their readiness, thatn that can make it tough. My son was SO multi-level at age 7, but now, as a touch typer, and as other children's abstract reasoning kicks in, is much closer to the center. Look at Rite!

Some suggest that there are two different kinds of giftedness - Accelerative and Enrichment-ish. The enrichment oriented kid is perfectly content to sit with agemates, finish their regualar work quickly, and work on their personal encyclopedia - say, creating an Encyclopedia. For this child, acceleration might just give them "more worksheets" that are still too easy and waste their precious time. Then there are the dear ones who are so plugged into the current in the classroom, that they need a "Merry Band" to explore onward with. My DS refused to do "more work" on a daily basis then what the teacher assigned - the enforced underachievement was well in place before I caught wind of what the real deal was. So he got a grade skip, even though it meant changing schools. When he complains about the amount of homework he gets, I smile on the inside. Actually, for who he is, I couldn't be happier with the placement. ((little happy dance))

Can you believe it's me, Trin, saying this?

Love and More Love,
Trinity

There

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com