About a year ago DD5 decided that God wasn't real, mostly as the result of a discussion about Santa. She asked if Santa was real and I ask her what she thought. She said no, because no one ever sees Santa, they just see the helpers at all of the stores and it's like pretend. DS8 (then 7) pointed out that he already knew Santa was Mom and Dad. We had a long talk about the meaning of Santa, the spirit and fun of giving, magical thinking in children, and why you don't tell all of your preschool friends that Santa is really just Mom and Dad. When we were all done she said that the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy are just like Santa. They are just Mom and Dad. And God is just to make you feel good.

DD5 has a strong focus on what is real in an observable sense. She is very much the little scientist. If something (like a movie monster) contradicts observable reality she wants to know why and how. We've talked a little about the difference between observations (science) and faith (religion)and I've pointed out that faith can help people lead a good life. She's not terribly interested in the faith end of things right now, but we are not a strongly religious family, so I'm OK with letting it go until she is more interested.

Jill