[quote=KristonI say again, I really think that pre-testing (above/below level, as an individual child needs) to get a read on where a child is actually performing, then requiring a year's worth of progress from that spot makes the most sense. If every child makes at least a year's worth of progress for a year's worth of school, no one is wasting time. But focusing on some perceived gap as if everyone has equal abilities is just ludicrous. How can anyone accept that?
[/quote]

Go Kriston!
I just finished the book 'Outliers' that proposes that the achievement gap/ income levels isn't really something that takes place during the school year, as much as it takes place over the summer. I would strongly support Kristons 'Years worth of progress in a year's worth of time' and, if the data suggested in Outliers is found to be reproducable and reasonable, add to that a sliding scale fee summer program of academics so that kids who don't have home environments that facilite learning can be kept from falling further behind every summer. I was suprised to learn that kids in the US have significanly longer school breaks than kids in other parts of the world.

I guess I would also be in favor of studing other countries that are getting good results from their education systems and testing if we can impliment those stratagies here.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com