We have no pull-outs either.

We live in a school district rated "excellent" by the State of Ohio Department of Education. Our school offers a "gifted" program from 2nd-5th grade. The first graders are given the CoGATs in January and the ITBS in March. The school uses these results to determine the gifted class for the next 4 years. Once a child tests into the class in first grade they remain in the class regardless of future test scores. My daughter tested in the 99% across the board for math (both locally and nationally)on the ITBS, received a perfect score on the nonverbal section of the CoGAT, and scored in the 96% overall on the CoGAT.

Despite the fact that my daughter is considered gifted by the State of Ohio Department of Education, the school does not include the nonverbal score when determining the "gifted" class and my daughter was not one of the 24 children selected.

The state of Ohio requires every school system to test and identify the gifted kids, however, the state of Ohio does not require the school system to provide any additional services to their gifted students.

In my opinion, this is a classic example of why the United States is lagging other nations in math and science.

We are now homeschooling.