Sanity Saving? Unfortunately, I think it might be too late to save my sanity. My daughter thinks I get too depressed about things that I have no control over.

Since we have always had a very limited budget, we have always had to consider pros and cons when making educational decisions. For instance, my husband and I had to decide if we should take our child out of piano and musical theatre so we could afford swimming lessons and PE. We decided to keep him in musical theater because that is where all of his friends are and piano helped with fine motor skills. We finally were able to enroll him in a twice a week YMCA homeschool PE class this month that includes use of the swimming pool, but his sensory integration issues and hypotonia seem even more apparent now that he is older and he said he felt like he had nothing in common with the other homeschooled kids.

So I was wondering if I had made the wrong choice the whole time I watched him in PE today. I thought maybe it was too late to develop physical skills now, that I should have taken him out of musical theater and paid for PE classes years ago, but when he went to his musical theater class I changed my mind. For some reason three older boys in the group couldn't make it tonight and my son was the only one singing the boys' part. I thought he and I would both be in trouble because I was supposed to make sure he practiced and we just didn't have time. I told him before practice that he could stand next to one of the older boys and the teacher would hopefully not be able to tell that he hadn't practiced. He ended up having to sing by himself on the boy parts and he sang very, very well. He has a really nice voice and I didn't even realize this because he won't sing like that for me and he has never volunteered to do a solo in their musicals. He always seemed to prefer singing with a group of kids. The teacher seemed surprised that he could sing so well and complimented him. She said it was obvious that he had spent a lot of time practicing when he hadn't even listed to the CD at home.

I hate having to decide between nuturing his gifts and doing things that might help with the hypotonia and sensory issues. It is really hard to know if I am doing the right thing sometimes.