Finally I made my first ever move in advocacy. I started talking with the PTA and parents about forming a math club in DS's school, and possibly taking the kids to math competitions. DS8 is incredible at math, and yet until this year did not get anything even remotely challenging. I talked with some parents, the unamimous response that I got is "great idea! Count us in!". So I approached the PTA to see if they are willing to sponsor it.

This is the first time I've ever taken the initiative to do something like this. It's a bit scary. I don't mind putting in the time, I think I will enjoy doing it. I am, however, a bit worried about the reaction from the school and from other parents. Would the school think that I'm challenging the notion that the school and its teachers are highly qualified and their curriculum sufficient? (I don't know the principal well, we just moved to this area a year ago, but last year's teacher gave me the impression of being quite pompous and would not take anything well that remotely resembles criticism. This year's teacher, though, is a lot better.) Would this move alienate parents whose kids are not so into math? Deep down, I don't give a **** of these, I need to make sure that my DS gets to develop his potential in math. But I want to make sure that this does not create any difficult situation for DS at school (both with teachers and with kids).

I hope it's just me worrying too much.