Hi Lorel

I think I remember you from another message board a couple of years ago, but I don't remember which one.

I wish I had videotaped him reading at earlier ages, but I didn't. I didn't know that I needed to do this. All I have is witnesses. I also kept a lot of written records. I might have a video of him reading The Night Before Christmas at age 5 but that is all. He didn't go to preschool because he was already reading and doing math but I was also afraid he wouldn't fit in because of his physical differences--the hypotonia, the fear of going up stairs, going down slides, etc. He just didn't seem to fit in with other kids so he stayed home with me. I only took him to Sunday School a few times when he was 2 1/2. I noticed that he was a lot more verbal than the other kids his age and was spelling some words. I think the Sunday School teacher might have heard him spelling words and I thought about asking her if she remembers anything like this but she is very strict and I think my son kind of got on her nerves. I am sure he refused to do her coloring sheets because he hated coloring. I am afraid that might be all she remembers about him. I thought about asking her to fill out one of the DYS recommendation forms if she remembers anything helpful, but I haven't yet. I would only do it as a last resort.

I am taking my time on the portfolio. I refuse to worry about it. I am not even sure what Davidson would do for us if he was accepted. There was no Davidson Young Scholars program when two of my uncles managed to become engineers in spite of growing up without a lot of money after their father died. They went to public schools and worked their way through college. One of my husband's sister's is a geologist and was a geology professor for a number of years. His brother is extremely successful in a business that requires college degrees, yet he does not have one. They grew up under very difficult circumstances when their mother died. My husband had to start working nights at age 13 just so they would would have enough to eat and then the kids were split up to live with different relatives, yet they not only survived, they thrived when life was challenging.

Maybe I don't need any help except for occasional advice on message boards like this.

Maybe my son is only highly gifted. I don't know. Maybe I will never know, but I know he has the necessary intelligence to succeed at anything he might want to do in the future, just maybe not the physical ability or endurance necessary to do some things.

We will continue to do the best we can with what we have, whatever happens.