Jon's Mom-

Are you asking how twice exceptional kids present differently as toddlers? I just want to be sure I'm answering the correct question.

My child who has mild to moderate AS (depending upon the day and circumstances) was also a self taught young reader, was very affectionate with the adults in his life, and seemed a happy go lucky kid. Technically, I am his stepmother, and not his birth mother, but I met him shortly after he turned four, and his Dad (who I married when J was six) took full custody when J turned five. So I really can't say a lot about what he was like at three, other than the general information I shared above.

It wasn't until he was turning five that we realized how different J was. He had low muscle tone and could hardly hold a pencil. He tired easily and wanted to be carried after walking a short distance. He still wavered about which hand was dominant for writing. He hated swings and refused to climb structures at the playground. He preferred to sit in the sandbox and dig.

Although it took us longer to notice that J wasn't fitting in socially, by the time he was in first grade it was apparent that he had difficulties. He talked to us at home about his friends at school, but when we invited the kids he said were his buddies to his birthday party, none even bothered responding. He tended to talk at people instead of with them. He would go on and on about a game, book, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and not even realize that the other person wasn't interested. He actually would follow someone around if they walked away from him- completely clueless to body language. He was inflexible in his play and tried to get us (or his cousin, neighbor, etc.) to repeat lines that he scripted. He'd get angry if he lost a board game and didn't seem to get the idea of give and take. He loved Nintendo's Mario games and frequently used lines from these and other games in his everyday interactions, unaware that most people had no idea what he was saying.

He despised the idea of having a bath, but once he was in the tub, he hated to get out. This was pretty much true of any change- if he was outside he didn't want to go in, if he was indoors he wanted to stay there. Change of any kind was very difficult for him. It still is, and he's 18!

I'm not sure if this is at all useful to you. Based on your description, your son is probably PG. I really can't make a call as to whether he has another exceptionality as well. I'd suggest that three is too young to make an accurate call anyway, unless he has a really glaring issue. You might do well to just be aware of how he interacts and not just whether he does. Does he talk in monologues, or does he wait, and listen to the other person's response? How is his eye contact?

take care-