It depends on what your state requires... We're in NC where we have to test, but there's no requirement for a) any particular grade level or b) any particular score. So we have as much flexibility as we want. We don't have to declare a grade in any case, so we could switch back and forth if we liked. But what I do is test as close as possible to what I think DS's level really is, and with as much potential information as possible.

So we do the Explore... it's approximately 8th grade level, so it's not too far from what he's actually doing, and it has norms down to 3rd grade, so I can get a reasonable comparison for his age too... And then for things in general (science fair, and the norming of the Explore for CTD) we go with 5th grade which would be one or two skips depending on the birthday cutoff. (He would be a younger 4th grader in public here or an older 3rd grader in private, where the cutoffs are earlier.)

Could you do two? Until this year I was fairly particular about not doing more than one full test per year, so as not to overwhelm him... and if I were worried about needing a particular score I would have been more conservative in choosing the level so I didn't have to re-do it... but as of this year he's gotten pretty laid back about testing and has been asking about maybe adding a second so I think we're past the "overwhelming" stage! LOL So if we were just starting this year I'd say we could probably do one for the state and one for our own purposes.

Erica