Do you know how strictly your district actually expects you to follow your curriculum plan?

I ask because while our area asks for a plan, they do not ever check up to see if you're following it unless your child fails the proficiency exam (badly--like 28th percentile or something like that) -or- is failed by the homeschooling-friendly evaluator who examines your portfolio. (And which route you go is the parent's choice, not the district's.) For an HG+ child, failure seems like a REALLY remote possibility. We went the testing route, and the test seemed almost embarrassingly easy for DS7.

Some people in my area use the curriculum plan to plan their year. However, I'm very child-led/loosey-goosey about what we do, so I make up the plan at the last minute by naming the first book I find on our local library's website that looks relevant. The whole thing takes an hour. <shrug>

So I guess the first thing I'd find out from local homeschoolers is just how serious is the district about your having to stick to the plan and what you have to do to prove compliance. You may be worrying more than you need to.

If not, then I guess you a) start making curriculum decisions, and b) find out how hard it is to change a curriculum if you don't like what you started with.

Kriston