Hi BWBShari - don't worry, you are in the right place! Your questions are not stupid.

My DS4 is not yet in school, so i don't have great school-related answers for you, but I would guess that your son would be whatever grade you enroll him in or whatever grade they want him to take standardized tests in. I'm not exactly sure from your descriptions, but he could be a Kindergartner with accelerations (is he based in K, and taking some classes in higher grades?) Are you having problems with the current school? A school willing to do such accelerations to meet the child's educational needs is quite rare (and good in my opinion, if it's working for you). There are others here who have kids with radical accelerations (more than one grade in one or more subjects), and hopefully they will give you some more useful advice. But if you're thinking of moving to a school just because it's called "gifted," you still have to do a lot of research to find out if they would really be able to accommodate your child. Many gifted schools are great for moderately gifted (MG) kids, but don't serve all HG kids well. Some people have found success in a regular public school that is willing to work with you.

Here is a link to the section hoagie's gifted that discusses levels of giftedness:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

Many of us here just use HG+ to encompass those HG (highly gifted)/EG(exceptionally gifted)/PG (profoundly gifted) kids (although this forum is not just limited to HG kids - all flavors welcome here!)

There is loads of info on hoagiesgifted.org. Excellent starting place and always resource.

Some books I found useful: Miraca Gross's Exceptionally Gifted Children (the latest edition has updates on the education of all the kids studied); Deborah Ruf's Losing Our Minds: Gifted Children Left Behind - discusses different levels of giftedness.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 10/24/08 09:18 PM. Reason: more school stuff