CYM asked about different resources and summer programs.

I thought I would move the summer program posting to a separate thread so that I can find and reference everyone�s input more easily next spring.

Our summer plans began the last week of May when our 10 yo son attended Aviation Challenge at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. This is an educational program, although not academic. In addition to flight training, the kids learn leadership skills.

He loved it, but got really homesick. Luckily we were camping at the Space Center, so we met him for lunch twice during the week. We also saw his squadron as they practiced escape and evasion near our campsite one evening.

http://www.spacecamp.com/category.php?cat=Aviation

Last Friday, he and my husband returned from Iowa where my son attended the Belin- Blank CHESS program for two weeks. He met other highly gifted children who share the same interests. He attended the Advanced Math and Leadership classes. He considered both fun and challenging and found the teachers extremely personable and engaging.

http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/summer/programs/3-6/chess/ic_session_2/

Our daughter applied and was accepted into a four week enrichment class for academically able 7th grade students at the preparatory (boys) high school which my son hopes to attend. She studied algebra and chemistry with 19 other students (per class). She received two weeks instruction with the graphing calculator and participated in countless lab experiments. She absolutely enjoyed this opportunity and never complained in the least about four weeks of summer school!

In addition, they participated in their first summer of swim team. Swim practice at the outdoor pool began every morning at 7am since June 1st. Both were selected for the conference meet which was held this past weekend. They each did very well, especially against more seasoned competitive swimmers. My son placed well enough over-all in one event to qualify for the next level competition in two weeks, so the early morning swim practices continue for us a little longer.

Our summer, so far, has been busy yet rewarding. Hope you all are enjoying your summer plans also!