Let me preface this by saying that DS still seems happy in his 2nd grade class.

However.

2nd grade math seems to consist of addition and subtraction facts to 18. DS already knows multidigit addition and subtraction with regrouping. He knows multiplication and division (although hasn't memorized those facts yet.) DS can count, add and subtract money, make change, tell time to the minute, understand fractions and is currently learning about exponents, roots and prime numbers at home.

Reading is not much better. I was excited to learn that he had taken an Accelerated Reader placement test. But we haven't heard what his AR level is. Yesterday for homework he was assigned a book called "The Big Box" which started out: "The kittens see a big box. It is a big, bad box. Can the kitten hop on top of the big, bad box?" etc. DS self-selects Secrets of Droon and nonfiction books of at least 4th grade level. He can read these aloud to me easily. He told me he asked the teacher if he could read a chapter book instead but that she said he had to read all 20 of the "baby books" (his words) first, and that he could only read one a day. He could read books like that when he was 3. Now he is almost 6... <sigh>

He always seems to know all the words on his spelling list as soon as he gets the list. They are things like: off, this, was (and the challenge words...) puddle, puppy.

Is this a typical 2nd grade curriculum? I guess if he's happy, we'll just continue what we're doing, but part of my motivation for skipping him was to provide some kind of challenge to keep him engaged and hopefully prevent perfectionism and underachievement. I'm not sure this is enough.