A few weeks ago I purchased a set of Singapore math books for my daughter (very bright, would not call her gifted, never tested).
She has just finished 4th grade and did some enrichment online with Aleks. I purchased 5th grade set after a lot of delibertion and searching. Most people actually suggest buying books one year below, as Singaporean kids start school later and are therefore more mature than US kids at same grade levels. I was bold :-) and purchased what my daughter actually needs - 5th grade set. To my surprise (shock?) the book deals with the material she has already covered (at least 80% of it). Do not get me wrong - the books are nice, do not look scary at all (you know what I am talking about, it is a math book!), but it is easy...
Anyone having experience with Singapore math? Any suggestions?
Did Aleks do wonders here....
I am about to purchase 6th grade set... (my daughter however is amazing, she is going through those books and enjoying it, partialy because she is proving to herself that she is so good in math...she has this mathwhiz brother as a role model, partial role model anyway..)
If you want to have a mental picture of my 10 year old imagine a girl that plays female protagonist in Bridge to Terabithia.
They look alike and dress alike. Got the picture ?
Now imagine this girl sweating over math...:-)

Waiting for suggestions,
Ania