Schools are really struggling right now, and it is kids like yours that are most impacted. In our school district, there are not enough subs so teachers have to fill in during their planning period, or they have to run two classes going between two classrooms. It's horrible. When they need to take off, they don't feel OK doing that.

There's a ton of turn over for the support staff and they are shifted around all day to cover where the need is greatest. Which means kids like yours never get to have that adult that "gets" them. Someone who can read your son and meet the sensory needs before things get out of control.

Kids are not being served well. The parents are upset when they see their kids having new behavior issues and the teachers are defensive, knowing they are not able to give their best. The special ed teachers can't get IEP meetings scheduled because the regular ed teachers who are required to be there are not available. In our district, the administrators and the district headquarters staff are pitching in -- 2 days per week-- to try to help. But still staff is quitting. Kids that were fine before virtual ed, came back aggressive, sending staff out on leave for injuries. The school knows it can't meet needs and looks for a better placement. But the placements don't have enough staff and the kids are put on a waiting list.

I don't have the answers, but wanted to share that at least in our district, the schools are not functioning well. One thing I'd suggest is NOT giving permission for restraint or seclusion if you do not restrain or seclude at home. He's said how it escalates things for him. He feels awful about it. Why put him through that whole process? School DOES have other tools. They are the sensory tools, or a flash pass to go to a different room, or -- well, there are plenty of options if you guys can brainstorm together. If they are saying the function of the behavior is attention, and you feel it's to escape demands, he needs another FBA-- but will they be able to do it in timeline? I know they wouldn't here.

And another question. What are the questions to be answered by the re-evaluation? At least in my district, you can help with that. Do you already have data to show he qualifies for special education? What is his disability category? Is it still valid based on the data you have? Is more data needed for teaching strategies (YES!) Do you have to ask the question about whether he qualifies for gifted? Maybe you can get everyone at the table to agree to not ask that question -- unless you think testing will make a difference. And only ask the question about teaching methods and test for that.