I agree with the other posters that say to see what type of gifted the school has and then decide if it's the right fit for your child.

I want to co-sign something that Wren said about expectations. One of the mistakes that I repeatedly make is exactly that - presuming what my gifted child should be into because he's gifted and capable in all of the traditional academic subjects.

I read a response to this in a really good book about gifted parenting, Bright by Dr. Alan Thompson. It goes like this: If you woke up in your child's body, what is it you would most want to accomplish? Then, as the parent, what are you doing to make that happen more quickly? Quickly being the operative word.

For my wife and I, we realized that we were promoting interests that matched our idea of what a gifted kid should be into and not giving enough attention to the things that our kid actually wanted to spend more time doing.

To tie this back to the original post, I guess I'd ask if the prospective school brings your daughter closer to what she wants out of school?