I'm thinking of applying for my son (12) to be a young scholar and I'm not sure what would be the best approach to the testing requirement of the application. He is profoundly gifted, but also has been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder and ADHD. He has been homeschooled for the last four years and is reaching a point where he probably should be taking college-level courses in some subjects, while working at or maybe a few years above grade level in others. He has not taken any standardized/intelligence tests since the first grade.
I'm tempted to have him take the SAT because it might be useful if I wanted to get him into a college course in the fall or spring; however, I'm concerned how he will handle long sections of the test that cover topics he's unfamiliar with or uncertain about. Would he be better off taking the PSAT first? If so, does anyone have an opinion about which one? Would his application for programs like this one be stronger if he took an intelligence test instead? He did score very well on the WISC as a kid.
TIA