I’m not in the US, so I’m ineligible to formally voice any objections, but I am dismayed for those affected. I hope your post reaches those who are affected and eligible to lodge formal objections. This is identical to the policy being adopted in Virginia, discussed in the thread ‘Virginia eliminating accelerated math before 11th’ (http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ia_eliminating_accelerat.html#Post248823).

In the state I live in, after school academic coaching is so prevalent that most students from highly aspirational families are working at the pace set by the coaching colleges rather than by their schools, so such a policy probably wouldn’t affect the majority, although I doubt there’s much need for such a policy here anyway, since they have already segregated students into two streams by having twenty three selective high schools, so the education system can offer two very different streams without the slow stream being aware of the inequity of opportunity. I wonder if similar factors might affect the number of responses to the changes proposed by the CA Department of Education.