When we were in that other thread and there was a statement that liberal arts provides critical thinking and problem solving, I didn't respond but I thought it was incorrect.

I think the best problem solving educational path is engineering. Because the whole thing is about problem solving. Like in that movie Apollo 13. They put a bunch of engineers in a room with all the stuff on the capsule available and said "make an oxygenator". They didn't get a bunch of liberal arts degree people. But liberal arts people think they are problem solvers. I think the best problem solvers are poor people who have had to survive and navigate and become successful. They have had to strategize. Anyone privileged is the worst problem solver in my opinion. No need to really figure out how to overcome obstacles. I think that is why they now have those college essay questions. What is the biggest obstacle you have had to overcome. So they can weed out the entitled.
In the olden days, it was the custom to become knowledgeable. To know the arts, literature, philosophy. Bill Gates reads about 20 books a week. About everything. He did not take liberal arts. He was totally focused on comp sci, yet he is one of the most knowledgeable people and problem solvers around. I think I know as much about art, literature not philosophy than most people with a liberal arts degree. It isn't hard to learn this kind of stuff outside of school. Go to museums around the world, see the art. See plays (not musicals, but real plays) Read all 7000 pages of Proust. Go to lectures before symphony performances.
I am good with people having different opinions on this. Let's see how it works out for our kids. That will show us the trends then.