Hi everyone!

I'm a current Yale student who went to a pretty normal public high school in the Midwest. Something I've been thinking a lot about recently is the fact that I and a huge proportion of my peers are going into jobs in software engineering, consulting, and quantitative finance, which are sectors I had basically no exposure to in high school.

I have a Substack where I write a lot about social mobility and education, and I wrote a much longer post on this idea there: https://neuralnetworking.substack.com/p/ambition-the-elite-job-market-and

I think it would be great if we had more gifted and ambitious high school students from lower and middle-class backgrounds going into these fields. I'm not sure exactly what the best way to promote this is, but I thought I might reach some of those people here. I'm happy to answer questions about my experience in the software or consulting recruiting process. I also encourage you to read my longer post, which has some explicit suggestions for bright high school students.