Hi everyone. smile This is my first post and I feel like a fish out of water.

A little background: We have three children. Our oldest is in 5th grade and just started school in a gifted cluster classroom. She was tested for the gifted program last year and accepted. The letter we received said she tested for "intellectual ability". From what I have read online this seems about right. She has always been a very bright and sensitive child. Our second child just started 1st grade and we are becoming very concerned about what to do in regards to his class and being taught. Our third child is three years old and a bundle of fun.

Our concern at the moment is for our six year old that is in 1st grade. He has always been extremely bright and just knows stuff. We have never tested him formally. The school district doesn't test for the gifted program until the end of 2nd grade. Which in reality isn't an issue, because we are more concerned with the fact that he is so advanced of his 1st grade peers that we do not feel that he will gain anything but bad habits out of it.

I am not sure how to proceed and get what he needs. Last year his K teacher worked with us and she clustered her 5 top students and sent them to another K class for the mornings where they could work at a higher level. *side note* She tried to put him in a 1st grade class for the mornings but for some reason they wouldn't allow it. Dh and I felt that what she came up with worked for our son for the time being because even though he was beyond what they were learning academically he was gaining confidence, making friends and learning socially.

If you were me what would you do? I prefer not to homeschool at the moment for various reasons but mainly because we make a great team as parent and child but he doesn't like to be taught by his dad or me. This is second week of school and tonight is open house so I will get a better read on the teacher. What did you do for your child? What should I look into?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by xoxosmom; 09/03/08 10:15 AM. Reason: typos