Two thoughts. I think for us - questions of age are fairly basic and quickly pass. When the question is generated by the child. It is the question or statement another child makes that they picked up from a parent when you bit your lip hope your kid answers so you don't .. then let it go. He did great. I also thin better just to get it over with. If it makes you feel better - this year in second but a new school - it hasn't been a mentionable so... hoping when the birthday rolls around it still is a nothing.

Second. I'm not sure what kind of program your son was in last year. but we went from a 2.5 hour/4 day a week pre-school to a 8-3:30 1st grade school day. For the first 4-6 weeks, we saw a lot of crabby and age appropriate behavior after school. but we were always excited to go back. so if things get sticky after school... first go with it being an adjustment not a reflection of the perfect fit you are making.

Kudos! Kids always seem to have less of an issue than we do ;-) I look back at all the stress and now it seems like the decision should have been a no-brainer.