Hi Willa Gayle,

Congradulations on the vote of confidence from the music teacher! Wow!

I'm not sure a child really can be good at touchtyping until age 9, but I still like the idea of teaching it in a "Zen - not attached to the outcome, only determined to do the process" way.

I like the idea of Gym with the 4ths, and maybe even recorder with them if there is no instrument program in the 5th, just for the fun/fine motor of it. If there is a music program, then spend some time with someone who can help him pick an instument that will work well for him.

Now on to Math facts. I recently read an article suggesting that we don't push for memorization of math facts until age 10 for kids following the typical developmental path. Lucky you, the window is still open and I can paste you a link:

http://www.triviumpursuit.com/articles/research_on_teaching_math.php

See what you think.

Also checkout hoagiesgifted.org for games you can play with him to get some "automatisity" going, and there are a few electronic games. Anyone know of any fun "drill and kill" websites?

One thing I like to keep my eyes open for is that growing up gifted I though there was something wrong with my ability to memorize words or math facts because it required days, hours, and weeks of practice. Was I used to that? No. Was there anything wrong with me? No. Did I need a confident parent to reach into my heart and see my secret fear and assure me to "keep going - it will come - not every kind of learning feels good - some feels just like you feel now." YES.

With DS10 I talk about the rubber tree, about my own experience, and about how there are many, many kinds of learning - each it's own experience. My husband tells him, "You know what's the hardest Math in the world? The math in front of you, right before you learn it! You know what's the easist Math in the world? The math you just learned!"

So be a little skiptical if you hear yourself doubting your own ability to do rote memory tasks - a little bit, anyway, ok?

Love and More Love,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com