A pushy parent is not a bad thing to be if you are armed with facts and evidences. If I were you AND really want to have my child in the 7th grade math, I would contact the district and negotiate further.

It makes no sense to me that they refuse you because they “cannot make change mid year”. Kids do transfer in and out of school anytime in the year, all the time!

However, moving your child in the midst of 6th grade to 7th is considered more a promotion, instead of acceleration (in my opinion anyway). The district could argue that your child would have missed a year of instruction time with the move. You have to make a strong case by demonstrating that your child has already master enough materials to fit into the middle of 7th grade.

But then, since it is a promotion instead of acceleration, you may find yourself back in the same position very quickly, as soon as your child decided the pace of 7th grade math too slow. So perhaps it is more beneficial to spend the time to develop an enrichment plan instead of arguing with the district every year?