Not to discourage anyone, but sometimes I think it can be better to send the kid to K at the usual time and skip 1st grade, especially if K is a half-day, non-academic program and 1st grade is the "learn to read" year. I think Dr. Ruf recommends this, FWIW.

I think it definitely depends on the child, though, so take this as just one more possibility.

It seems like it is often easier to get the grade skip and to make the transition seamlessly if you take the K skip. But 1st grade was really hard on many of the kids discussed here (including mine!), so sometimes that will be the year you want to skip.

I have also heard that 2nd grade is sometimes a slow one for HG+ kids, so that's another one to consider. It seems like by 3rd grade, things have picked up a bit? Maybe? At least I personally haven't heard a lot of calls to skip then. Or maybe the problem has just usually been dealt with by then?

Anyway, I realize parents don't always have a choice about when they can get a skip, and if you think a skip is necessary, then a bird in the hand is usually worth accepting! They can be hard to come by. But if you have some flexibility about when to take a skip, it might be worth thinking through the timing.

Feel free to ignore! smile

Kriston