I'm with Portia. One of ours has similar interests (although nowhere near the magnitude or precocity of accomplishment), and I cannot imagine holding DC back from creating and performing music, even if only for a private circle. We have been able to support those interests with time and opportunities because of our family circumstances, and, yes, because homeschooling released DC to a great deal more self-directed time.

I see no reason to make a distinction between musicians and child musicians. There are musicians of various styles and degrees of talent (both inborn and trained). Some of them happen to be adults, and some of them happen to be child-aged. Some of the more skilled musicians are adults, and some are children. Likewise the less skilled musicians.

There are those for whom music is their natural language. Asking them to wait until college to learn and develop it more would be like telling an early reader that you are not allowed to learn to read until first grade, and certainly not allowed to read Shakespeare or any other classic literature until you are at least 14. And by the way, stop writing stories.

In any case, I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that, though she could have had a different childhood than the one she has had so far, she would not have had a "normal" childhood no matter what.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...