My child goes to a charter school that is wonderful in many ways except in supporting gifted learners. I’m considering applying for her to attend a district-run gifted program that my older son will attend next year. However, I won’t have the same qualifications I had for my son because she will be younger and I’m still fighting with our school about various types of testing. Can anyone help me brainstorm about ways I can show her giftedness via a portfolio of tests and work? This particular program has absolute discretion in who they take and they do accept private/charter/public students with varying credentials They have their own test as well.

I know she will have a gifted designation from our school for perfect state achievement scores (twice) but I may not have district certification in time. She has 97-99% NWEA for all tests the last three years. She qualified on SCAT/CTY but she didn’t finish the math although she said it was easy. I could probably have her practice a bit and retest in about six months to try and get “high honors”. It is really unclear to me if just “passing” SCAT is meaningful enough. She takes an accelerated math class at school and is scheduled to Algebra in 7th. She does Beast Academy and likes math. Maybe an online CTY class? She is also a higher reader and reads constantly but has never formally studied vocabulary.

She is a serious dance student, performs in a play 1-2 a year, and was recently awarded a Girl Scout Bronze Award. Easy student. Teachers love her.

Can anyone suggest ways to make herself known to the committee?

Last edited by JudAU; 06/04/19 12:20 PM.