DD9 is exceptionally gifted (gf-gc >160) with dysgraphia and perhaps some stealth dyslexia though it was not diagnosed during evaluation and she reads at the benchmark. Her school has generously given her three 40-minute private Wilson Reading intervention sessions every six days and two private OT sessions without a 504 or IEP. She cooperated with the OT who is young and fun, but won’t cooperate writing with her classroom teacher who she doesn’t like. She is also somewhat oppositional and non-compliant with the reading teacher. The reading teacher called me today concerned saying my daughter was angry for the first time and she was really worried about her.

The theory is that my daughter has worked to conceal these deficits from everyone through compensating and is sort of traumatized by the spotlight shining on them. This attitude (anxiety, or whatever you want to call it) is impeding the progress. My daughter has always been incredibly compliant and cooperative. She’s been a very easy child. This year has been a struggle as I worry I’m seeing some unraveling though overall she’s happy at home.

Does anyone have any thoughts? At this point, I’m even considering homeschooling her as I’m worried about her well-being. But I’m concerned that will reinforce this avoidance and non-compliance.