Originally Posted by Alannc44
"Back then, there was no such thing as “test prep”: You simply showed up, took the test, and went home.
Yes! So glad you mentioned that point made by the author in the OP's article. smile

...I had a pop-up tell me my child's IQ score could be improved in order that he/she could get into an elite school. It had testimonies of all things. You have to wonder how these preppers are even legal.
Yes! There is a distinction between preps offered by test companies themselves (often for free or at minimal cost, examples: ACT SAT), and preps available from other entities, including IQ test preps. While I believe the former are ethical and serve potential test-takers impartially, I have often wondered whether the latter involve violation of copyright, infringement on intellectual property rights, etc.

I was about to drop out of public
Unfortunately, dropping out and school refusal are not uncommon among the gifted.

... a place where high achievement was valued. Wonderful place. I just wish I could've gone earlier. Playing catchup with that crowd was tough.
Sounds like you rose to the challenge. smile