OK, so I can't really ask any questions about the testing, the report is generated from the notes the Dr wrote while testing DS. The focus of the study is on how the brain changes over time and the IQ test is more to make sure that only children without ID are included in the study. The report is provided as a courtesy. I also got a picture of my son's brain, which looks amazingly normal, at least to me. I wouldn't have been surprised to see something crazy going on in there!

Overall I'm not concerned about the drop in FW since there was a clear behavior problem at the time and IRL DS excels so much in the math/visual spatial/logic areas that he vastly outperforms most adults, including myself. It's always been the other stuff I worry about.

I had a talk with DS tonight and he said that he is OK with the level of the school work other than math, so I guess I will just mention the idea of lowering the verbal stuff a bit and see what they think. DS actually has been planning on attending this IEP meeting for some time and has a written statement prepared asking for harder math and pointing out some accommodations that are written in the IEP, but are not being implemented.

It's hard for me to know how to work with the school to accomodate a kid who has multiple disabilities, behavior issues, and an unusual IQ profile that is opposite of what they are used to working with at the school. His entire gifted program (2x per 6 day cycle for 60 minutes) takes place as a push in during LA and consists of reading high level non-fiction texts in areas of interest (mostly science stuff). DS reports that he does enjoy the program, but preferred it last year when it was a pull out and included math. Also worth noting, while DS reads at a higher level for non-fiction, he very much prefers fiction and reads it almost exclusively at home.

I guess some part of me still believes that if we get the academics right the behaviors will improve. I honestly don't have any trouble with him at home for the most part (excluding times he goes into crazy periods, which thankfully hasn't happened for almost a year now). He is such a calm, sweet, helpful child (when medicated!) and he loves to play and learn.

It's so hard for me to understand how he goes to school and throws tantrums and breaks rules. None of that happens at home or in the community. Restaurants and even the dentist love my son. Last year when we flew on a plane the people behind us commented that they didn't even know a kid had been in front of them the whole ride.

He is so friendly and outgoing it's hard to imagine what is going on at the school that has him so upset he's misbehaving. I'd love to be able to cross off academic mismatch as a cause for the behaviors, but I'm not sure that will ever really be possible. I honestly wish DS didn't want to go to school, I would very much prefer to homeschool him. He really wants to go to school though, he even hates days off, including Christmas break!