Originally Posted by Cranberry
I joined several years back and quickly left. The monthly newsletter was just the local chapter president complaining about something that happened to her and how it reflected the decline of society (i.e. "get off my lawn"), as if it was her personal blog. We got to hear about her latest medical treatments, how the insurance company screwed up her bills, etc.

I'm sure experiences are very different based on the local members and culture.

It really is. I used to edit our local newsletter. As editor I received my choice of over 20 national newsletters. Some were really awful, while others were done really well. My grammar was worse than many of the contributors. That I didn't have to edit much was the best part of my job. It was all voluntary of course. (What do you expect from amateurs ?)

I found that most Mensans live very isolated lives. Either because they live isolated lives due to some sort of psychological hangup or because the isolation causes them to have hangups, part of the main purpose of Mensa is to provide a social outlet. It does for many.

Most have good hearts. Yes, there're some real works. But, don't over look the quiet ones who definitely have stories to tell.

Last edited by Alannc44; 01/03/19 12:48 PM.