(Quote)
"only 22 percent of actuarial science majors held a master’s degree or doctoral degree, suggesting the majority of graduates did not need to take on more schooling — which often comes with more debt — to find employment."
(End quote)

It's easy to assume that an advanced degree in any field is a wise move, not necessarily so as our family learned (and I suspected) involving our eldest son. I'd urge anyone to do their research as to the real value of any advanced degree before pursuing it. In my eldest son't case, all in academia encouraged him to pursue an advanced degree, however, research in his specific field of study and talking to those in the industry revealed that while the graduate degree would indeed pay a higher rate, it was minimal and would take about 30 or more years to recover the lost wages suffered from missing a couple of years of work if he would simply go into the work force with an under graduate degree and the additional cost of two additional years of college. The vast majority of companies were much more interested in work experience and professional credentials outside of college than an advanced degree.

Last edited by Old Dad; 12/03/18 08:54 AM.