Just another second re CTY Intensive Studies program summer camp experiences - that was where my ds met "his people" - honestly where he had the happiest moments of his teens. Although the actual programs were based on grade rather than age, if I recall, the living arrangements in the dorms were somewhat grouped by age and program interest, so a student who is a 13 year old 9th grader, for instance, wouldn't be rooming with a 15 year old 9th grader but would instead be rooming with another 13 year old who might be enrolled in the same course. My experience is a few years old, however, so things might be different now or might vary by campus.

I'll also add that I was a bit concerned when we first considered CTY summer camps because I googled online and found a ton of reviews from students who attended and had many of their first non-academic teen social experiences there (I'll spare you the details, but it was when my ds was still relatively young and I wasn't sure as a parent I was ready for him to experience all of what I read lol!)... but in reality, the social piece of camp was probably worth much much more than the academics for our ds.. even though the Intensive Studies really are that - a lot of intensive academics.

Best wishes,

polarbear