As far as I can tell, subvocalization is considered normal, and a slow speed is associated with reading for learning and comprehension. Whenever I look into speedreading, it seems to turn out to be skimming, which isn't how I want to experience a book.

I find that one approach that helped was to use a bookmark to trace my place on the page. A lot of my speed loss is due to losing my place repeatedly, usually as I go from line to line. The bookmark eliminates that and also lets me try to speed up (i.e. you can subvocalize faster, as long as you aren't losing your place). I've seen some bookmarks that have a slit cut in them so that the lines above an below are hidden.

Apparently you can buy them, but they go by different names: reading guide, reading strip, reading highlighter. Might have to get myself one.

My other approach is just time management. I know from lots of experience I read at about 20 pp/hr. So when I had reading assignments after I got older and more responsible I would just make that its own task and assign a realistic amount of time to each week's reading. A lot of reading that is assigned is actually less dense than you might expect so you can get an nice sense of accomplishment from finishing the reading with time to spare.

Last edited by mckinley; 09/24/18 10:21 AM.