I can't thank you enough for both the perspective and the information. I hadn't thought of the bigger picture with the cut-off # for the district G&T program. Of course the school has to have uniform or routine measures in place to prevent more privileged students from gaming the system!

I was being a bit cheeky about SAGES and state capitols, but your explanation certainly helps me to understand the test as a screening mechanism. We'll see what happens if that's the only option they leave us with.

I'm not sure where my DC will end up in all of this, but at least having her evaluated via the WISC has helped us understand how her mind works a bit better, and also has clarified what would help her become more engaged and challenged. I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic as it's a new school year with a new teacher, and they may be better at differentiating. But we're still recovering from a 2nd grade experience where she was not only bored and anxious, but frequently reprimanded for being distracted when she sought out any stimulation that would help her feel active. I hate that she's beginning to understand the daily classroom experience in this way. I'm doing everything I can to counter that with more positive experiences that meet her needs -- and I'm just asking the school for a little help. I feel like we're getting massively stonewalled. I'm sure we're not the first!

Thanks again.