Originally Posted by Isabel
I will gladly keep you posted. We had our son tested because we were planning to enroll him in a school where he would need to prove an iq over 130 if he wanted to do more advanced work. In the end we changed our minds and he will be attending a small, Montessori-type school where some of his classmates will be 7 and 8. They won't be able to accelerate him, but they are very flexible and don't use worksheets or textbooks. Let's see how it works...

Anyway, even though we had him tested for educational purposes, for us it had the positive side-effect of confirming our suspicions. Before having the test results we were always second-guessing ourselves and thinking that perhaps what he was doing was normal after all, so I would say testing was useful because it helped us understand what we were dealing with.

Very similar to our story. We wanted to confirm (to ourselves somewhat) that what we were seeing in her wasn't just us looking at her through foggy lenses. I read somewhere that most parents do indeed know if their child is gifted, but how do you convey your belief to teachers without evidence? Our suspicions were confirmed, and we've been actively seeking schools, or at least teachers, who can deal with gifted or highly gifted kids. We're very happy with her first grade teacher. It remains to be seen what second will be like. She was granted a seat in our local HG school (Metrolina Scholars Academy), but we found something closer that actually has a couple of HG kids in her class. We feel like peers are very important too. (We were a little disappointed in MRSA's outdoor policy. Our daughter really likes to run and play for hours outdoors. (not 15 minutes here and there)

By the way, we found all Montessori schools are not alike.