Hello - so my son has scores that fall short of qualifying for DYS. After a challenging first grade year in public school where the teacher did not differentiate and basically labeled my son a behavior problem, we had psychoeducational evaluation done and found his FSIQ to be 140 on WISC-V, with verbal comprehension, processing speed, and working memory being his three highest scores - 98 percent, 99.7 percent, 99.9 percent respectively).

Since my son exhibits all five types of overexcitabilities, we decided to have a full nueropsychological evaluation at the end of second grade. He had a teacher that was much more compassionate and understanding of an energetic, curious 7 year old and she did not see him as a behavior problem. However, my son continued to complain of boredom and show signs of anxiety/depression related to school. The neuropsychologist did not redo the IQ testing (as the that would not be ethical one year later). However, he referred to my son as exceptionally gifted from his observations and suggested he be seen by a psychologist to "rule in" or "rule out" generalized anxiety disorder, low level depression and ADHD to see if they are true diagnosis that fit and need to be treated on their own, or if the symptoms of those things are a result of overexcitablities from giftendness and perhaps exacerbated by a poor educational environment. We are currently working with a psychotherapist and I guess those answers are TBD.

My son's WIAT III subtest scores were as follows: math problem solving 99.9%, sentence comp 99%, work reading 99%, reading comprehension 75% - neuro said this is likely inaccurate low score because my son was restless, fidgety, seemed tired and did not go back to look up answers even though he was allowed to, pseduowork decoding 92%, numerical operations 90%, spelling 99%, math fluency addition 99%, math fluency subtraction 99.6%, math fluency multiplication 94%.

Sorry for the long post, but as my son is about to start third grade, I'm worried about how the year will go. Any experts out there who can guide me as to reasonable expectations for accommodations to ask of a public school based on these test results? I don't have any unofficial "diagnosis" at this point, and his scores are high but seem short of qualifying for some great resources and help (like DYS). However, I know he is very different from the "norm" and he is definitely struggling (socially/emotionally) in a general ed class. Any insights/input would be greatly appreciated.