No real expertise here but some random thoughts. It would definitely be a savings if your Dad can tune your piano for you regularly as that can get expensive depending on how many times a year you tune. I know professional tuners who do not actually play the piano but of course have perfect pitch. Similarly, some high level pianists, even ones with graduate music degrees and who routinely accompany level six soloists, do not tune their own piano. As far as technique, a good piano teacher will help her to correct any errors over time and it won't matter so much if your DD is not entering competitions or planning to go professional. In our area, there is an abundance of piano teachers probably because so many people play as compared to teachers for band or string instruments. I would gravitate towards teachers who cater to adults as 14 is already an age where learning is more adult-like than child-like. It would be nice, price permitting, to have a better qualified than a less qualified teacher; however, if there is a huge price differential and your DD still has a lot of basic theories/techniques to mastered, then it may make sense to go with a less advanced teacher. Some teachers also only take on students with some minimum level of skills so it helps to be able to specify her current skill level. I can't figure out your DD's skill level from your post but a teacher auditioning a new student will have that student play a couple of pieces, which I presume your DD would do from memory. Since she can read music (both treble clef and bass clef?), it might make sense to see how she sight-reads written music from beginning level piano books (I, II). You can also check the level of music that she plays by ear. As for the piano, obviously you can only buy what you can reasonably afford but if she is serious about this pursuit, it may make sense to view the cost of the piano in the context of what you will paying for lessons over the next couple of years.