We are just in the beginning phase of advocating for my 2E son who has ADHD, as well as Dyspraxia. So far, our plan is to go in with a few small accommodations for a 504 and we can adjust as needed. Our goal is to first, just acquire a 504. We are in a district that is difficult to work with, as they're a city district school system, and they'd rather shove you out to the county district for services. The schools are Elementary (K and 1) Academy (2-5) Middle and High. My son is transitioning to Academy so they don't know him.

Here's what I've done so far:
-I emailed the principal and requested we discuss scheduling a 504 meeting.
-She was open to most suggestions (except placing him in gifted). Things like prime seating in the classroom, teachers helping to make sure he doesn't forget to write down his assignments, and using graph paper to aid in his handwriting. She said those are well within the scope of 'best practice'. I've since been told that's how they blow parents off and say 'oh we already do those' without having to secure a 504.
-she asked if he was medicated (can she do that?)
-I asked about placing him in gifted, and she said he could do the work but would not be placed on the gifted roster since he didn't test in in K....he's going into 2nd and his 1st requested they test, but the school declined. I asked her to review his independent scores before making a final decision on gifted and sent scores to her.

What should I press for next? Any tips are welcome. It's intimidating and overwhelming. I'm looking at wrightslaw already but I'll admit it's a little over the top with information.....overwhelming. But I'm trying to comb through it all.

Thanks.