Take minecraft away for a month or two and he'll find something else to do. The younger age toys are still engaging, when you take the high stimulation stuff out of the environment. Get some LEGO Technic sets and someday he can upgrade to LEGO Mindstorm (robotics) kits. Any building toy is fine, really, those just are likely to hold his attention longer. If you get Mindstorm, prepare to lay out a lot of money. The basic kit barely does anything, and the amount of coding that can be done without more sensors and parts is limited.

Scratch, Tynker, and Hour of Code are great online sources for coding. He may like Minecraft coding classes if you are not willing to follow my advice above about removing Minecraft so he can expand his range of interests.

He might have patience to watch Great Courses and they have great Physics courses. They're expensive, so look for them at your library until you're confident he is ready for them.

How much of his Minecraft interest is social? Is that what his friend group is into? Perhaps expanding his horizons needs to include interests his friends value. My son's peers were interested in Minecraft until about 4th grade when it started transitioning to Harry Potter and in 6th grade Harry Potter is still cool, but Lord of the Rings, Rick Riordian books, and Star Wars are the next things. Be aware of what his friends (or non-friend peers) are interested in when guiding him to shift his hobbies - he might have a lot of identity and social currency going on with Minecraft.

Woodworking and soldering are good basic skills for young builders. If need help finding age-appropriate woodworking instruction, 4H has a woodworking series. You do not have to be a member of 4H to buy their curriculum. The booklets are usually <$5 in their online store. If he's into electronics, the "Make: ___ " series of instructional books is good. A breadboard will allow a person to make circuits without soldering. The "Make: ___ " series has shopping/supply lists inside.

Summer is a good time for exploring new things away from social circles. Try not to limit the options you give him based on preconceived ideas of what he "should" like. Sometimes they surprise us! My son would never admit it to his friends, but his newest hobby is embroidery. Origami is another hands-on creative construction with plenty mathematical background to it - and google Minecraft origami if he needs a bit of motivation to try. When he exhausts the children's origami books, there is a textbook of how to make one's own designs - very cool!

There are tons of fun things to do, but it's unlikely he will be willing to try an low-stimulation activity when he has Minecraft (high stimulation) available. If Minecraft goes on a summer vacation, you may be more encouraged by his interests in other activities. Unstructured time and boredom is good for children and develops their creative thinking and problems solving.

Disclaimer: I am strongly biased towards no or select few toys, no TV, no videogames, restricted/supervised computer - not for the purpose of being restrictive, but to give the gift of a whole new way of thinking, problem solving, and creating.