It's an interesting read. If a significant number of kids are showing up with high GPA's and SAT scores, it raises the possibility that those metrics have been watered down to some extent as predictors of future success.

In the private school world from which many of the elite schools draw a disproportionate number of students, they have been putting less emphasis on grades. Some schools have switched to pass/fail metrics in some classes. In Philadelphia, I've come to understand that many college prep schools are dropping AP courses altogether for their own allegedly more rigorous coursework.

If these feeder schools are telegraphing to the elite institutions that they don't value those things as highly then it starts to make sense that the colleges will eventually follow suit.

As I noted, I think it speaks to the equally relevant concern that at the high school level the old criteria have been watered down, especially grades, to a point that they're nigh worthless. As the article noted 50% of high school kids are graduating with A averages. How is it possible that the median GPA is "Straight A"? The 50th percentile is "perfect"?

How can any institution be expected to continue to prioritize grades when they no longer seem to separate the elite from the simply better than average? I'm not saying there is a better metric. I don't know of any, only that I can understand the need to start looking at other things.

Last edited by philly103; 05/26/18 06:57 PM.