Originally Posted by madeinuk
"There is no such thing as being bored anymore because schools do a great job of recognizing different levels."

If only! My non-skipped child is bored to death in the gifted program in our school. There's 1 month left in the 6th grade and I seriously think, every day, about pulling her out. EVERY. DAY. The only reason I haven't is that I'm afraid of pssing off the school and making trouble for my younger child.

My younger child went directly from preschool into the 1st grade. The first year was difficult, because his teacher made it difficult. She absolutely Did Not Approve of grade-skipping and complained incessently about his immaturity. He's very ADHD, but not terribly immature. He's just impulsive. He thrived in 2nd, and has done just dandy in 3rd, even though he was dx with dyslexia and dysgraphia. (The school doesn't believe in either dx, and has refused two IEP requests, because he's still above-grade-level-average in everything.) I am waiting with bated breath to see if he's admitted to the wholey-inadequate gifted program. It would probably be just right for him.

FWIW I did worry about the grade skip a LOT for the first half of the first year. Now I only worry about it when I think about high school, and mostly whether at some point dyslexia will become a real issue. But we'll deal with that when we get there. It wasn't even a known factor at the time we did the skip.

Last edited by Aufilia; 05/22/18 05:28 PM.