DS 9 has been in his very small private school since he was 3 and generally been very happy. I got him tested for the gifted program in our county and he got in. We went to the open house last night and it seems like a good program. The focus is on literacy, reading and writing. Science and Social Science is more project based and in depth and math is really the same as the county's normal accelerated offering. There are two classes of 27 of highly able kids. The program lasts two years. The program targets about the 3-5% kids.

I am actually fine with his private school's curriculum even though it is not challenging at all in math (but the country's program is not going to be challenging in math either). And my son has never ever complained about school. The problem is the school is tiny. The advantage is that he gets a lot of attention.

The GT program is for two years and then we have to deal with middle school. The middle school magnet program is going through changes and being in the elementary programs is not necessarily a pipeline to middle school magnet. His little private goes to 8th grade and we can accept that barring unforeseen social problems.

DS doesn't want to go. He doesn't want to leave his friends. At the Open House they told him he would be expected to read and write a lot and do a lot of harder work, and he wasn't keen on that. He was a little tempted by having more than 50 potential peers. But not enough incentive for him to want to try the new program.

I am not sure what we should do and how much we should try to convince him.

Last edited by Thomas Percy; 05/01/18 12:00 PM.