Hi!
I used to lurk here many years ago when my then-4yo's scores had his IQ at the 99th percentile overall and 99.9th percentile in visual-spatial skills.

Background info: I'd always felt that my son's learning curve for reading was far slower than other subjects. He'd known the letters since he was 2 or 3, but couldn't put them together until much later after much specific instruction (vs. other subjects where you could give a basic explanation and it would "click"). As a young child, many people pointed out that some of the things I thought were idiosyncracies were also early signs of dyslexia, like not being able to rhyme.

Now, as a 9yo, he *can* read. He can sound out most words, even pseudo words. But his reading comprehension is -- in my opinion -- ridiculously low compared to his other skills. Like, when I see the books that he reads as a 4th grader for guided reading, I can tell that they're beyond his ability, but he "does OK" according to teachers and is "on grade level". Obviously, this makes me more and more nervous as he gets closer to junior high school, where the "reading for meaning" is going to significantly increase.

We've recently had him tested for what I've been thinking was stealth dyslexia for years, and the results showed (as explained by the neuropsychologist) a "relative weakness" rather than meeting the diagnostic criteria for dyslexia. I have some plans to talk to her again to clear up some of the questions I'm going to ask y'all, but I'd love to hear what the experienced members of this forum think. In particular, do these look like stealth dyslexic scores?

(Also noting that these scores don't show him in the gifted range anymore, but you guys are the most knowledgeable group I know about 2e issues.)

WISC-V
Verbal Comprehension 127
Similarities 16
Vocabulary 14
Information 15
Comprehension 12

Visual Spatial 119
Block design 14
Visual puzzles 13

Fluid Reasoning 109
Matrix reasoning 10
Figure weights 13

Working Memory 115
Digit span 11
Picture span 14

Processing Speed 119
Coding 13
Symbol search 14
Cancellation 11

WIAT-III (There's a lot of these, but I'll just specify the composite scores)
Oral language 110
Total reading 107
Basic reading 116
Reading comp. and fluency 98
Written expression 110
Mathematics 129
Math Fluency 115
Total achievement 115

(I want to note here that he was also given the WIAT-III as a 7yo. Since then, the standard scores for math-related subtests have INcreased by as much as 12 and 26 points (110 to 122 for numerical operations and 105 to 131 for the math problem solving subtest), and the reading-related subtests have DEcreased by as much as 13 and 15 points (111 to 98 for reading comprehension and 115 to 100 for oral reading fluency))

GORT-5
Rate score 10
Accuracy score 7
Fluency score 8
Comprehension score 9
Oral reading quotient standard score 92

In another, test, the NEPSY 2, there were some scores that stood out as well. I won't list all of them, but in the "word generation" segment, he had to name as many animals has he could in a certain time. He scored in the 99th percentile. Then, he had to name as many words that start with a certain letter (I think "P") in a certain time, and that score was in the 5th percentile.

In particular, I feel a bit concerned with the discrepancies between his math and reading comprehension scores (and standardized math scores tend to be much lower than this when there's reading comprehension involved). And the fact that math has seen a big increase year-over-year while reading is showing a decrease.

The neuropsychologist gave some recommendations for Active Reading Strategies that sounded good. But as I thought more about it, I was like, "I know that he learns/uses these techniques in school already." I feel frustrated for him that he seems to have to put far more work into the reading than he does with anything else and isn't getting the results.

She did also mention that he has signs of CAPD, but the testing she does doesn't fully cover/diagnose that.

Any thoughts? How do these scores compare to your stealth dyslexic? I've since been reading that dyslexics tend to have far more significant defects in working memory and/or processing speed. The lack of problems with pseudoword reading (73rd percentile) and spelling (81st percentile) may also mean that dyslexia isn't really the problem.

I just have such a hard time thinking that his difficulties with reading comprehension are simply due to lack of knowledge or not working hard enough.