For perspective, I have two pg fourth graders (DS8 was grade skipped last year, so now he's in fourth with his sister).

DD9 scored 252 on the spring math MAP (2-5). According to the norm chart, that's nearly a standard deviation above the mean for eleventh grade. DS8 scored 238 on the same test.

However, anyone that has worked with them both knows that DS has a deeper understanding of mathematics than DD. (No discredit to her, she's incredibly talented, math is just his thing.) To me, the test results mean that DD is better at the fourth- and fifth-grade standards. She's had more exposure to those than he has, because she's progressed largely linearly through a standard public school curriculum.

DS attends the same public school, but did SSA in math from second to fourth grade last year, and is now in fourth grade, doing sixth- and seventh-grade math. There are a few gaps there (rounding, for example, which he makes him appalled every time it comes up--"Why wouldn't I want to just do the real math?".)

However, on the SCAT for admission to CTY, his quantitative score was miles beyond hers. Also, on the KTEA, his math score was significantly beyond hers. Those tests show more of the higher-level skills.

Last edited by Cnm; 04/19/18 02:55 PM.