I identified as a gifted adult, and was disappointed to end up with an average intelligence. I was later diagnosed with a condition that causes cerebral hypoperfusion. My brain doesn't get enough oxygen to function well. After diagnosis and treatment, I was re-evaluated and am somewhere in the gifted range. I was being evaluated for ADHD, so I didn't do enough subtests for FSIQ. It's still a bit of a mystery. I'm satisfied not knowing. I'm artistically and musically talented, which doesn't translate to IQ testing well. I was in GT in high school.

It used to be a big deal to me, but my interest in my IQ was coming from a place of insecurity - particularly in my marriage. My husband is highly intelligent, and his strengths are math/science which are more valued in our culture. He also has above average income from his intelligence and education. I was muddling along using being a stay-at-home-mom for cover of being unemployed (disabled). But after getting my chronic illness diagnosed, my marriage is better and the insecurity is mostly gone. Without that insecurity, I don't really care so much about labels and don't struggle with the "am I gifted" question.

I do need to be wary about the ways that "creative genius" can be a roadblock. If you're feeling insecure, stuck, or otherwise frustrated, I cannot recommend this book enough. "Unlock Your Creative Genius" by Bernard Golden.

When I feel very stuck and frustrated in life, taking a continuing education class works wonders! Or a college class if it's in the budget. The last class I took was "beginning to intermediate drawing". It was like hours of private instruction with a university art professor .... and cost about $70. Excellent value to get immersed with like-minded people.